Morrisons has launched a price match scheme and a loyalty card called “Match & More”
- “Match & More” provides a price match guarantee against Aldi and Lidl as well as Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Asda.
- Customers earn points in the following ways:
- “The Match” – Morrisons’ technology automatically checks all the products in shopper’s basket against a database of thousands of prices collected by independent pricing experts Profitero. Where there are comparable products, these are price matched against those from Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury’s. If the comparable shop would have been cheaper elsewhere, Morrisons gives the shopper the difference in the form of points on their loyalty card.
- “And More” - Shoppers will receive additional points on hundreds of featured products across Morrisons stores which will accumulate with each shop. They will also earn 10 points on every litre of fuel they buy from Morrisons petrol stations.
- When 5,000 Match & More points are accumulated, the shopper receives a GBP 5 voucher at the till.
This comes at an extremely competitive time in the UK grocery market and all of Morrison's key competitors bar Asda have announced falls in LFL sales. However, as the overlap of SKU's between Morrison's and the discounters is only likely to be across 1200 SKU's it will be interesting to watch this important development.