UK Big Four grocer Morrisons has detailed its Christmas 2018 performance for the 9 weeks ended on 6 January 2019.
- Total sales excluding fuel increased 4%; including fuel increased 3.8%.
- Like-for-like sales excluding fuel increased 3.6%.
- LFL sales including fuel were 3.4%.
- Retail contribution to LFL was 0.6% compared to 2.1% in the Christmas season 2017/18.
- Wholesale contribution to LFL sales was 3% during the period compared to 0.7% in previous year.
- LFL items per basket increased 0.8% while the number of transactions decreased 0.9%.
Morrisons said the strongest areas of improvement were colleague friendliness and checkout experience. 2018/19 year-end expectations were unchanged.